Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rainy Rocks




The theme suggested by Barbara at Cat Patches this week is "Wet".  Since my mind is on our three day, Labor Day weekend, I was going to use a picture from our last scalloping trip, but you seen plenty of boating and swimming pictures already from me, so as I was perusing my extensive photo collection, I came across these shots from our trip to Massachusetts in September of 2004. Bruce is from western Mass. and this is Balance Rock near Pittsfield. It was raining all day, but that didn't stop us from venturing out to see new stuff (new to me anyway). I'm from the west coast of Florida, where it rains nearly every afternoon in the summer, so what's a little rain? 


It was sad to see all the graffiti on it, but it was neat, none the less. Here are a few more shots of the rocks and the area immediately around them.  If it hadn't been so wet, I would've insisted on trekking off down one of the paths, but we were between rain showers as it was.



 I will never understand why people feel the need to desecrate everything with paint and their names.

 That blurry guy is Bruce, just for some scale on the size of the rocks.

 The balance point. And more graffiti.

A Fire Newt, or salamander. I thought he was neat and it was nice to see something vaguely familiar. Florida is home to billions of lizards and not seeing one every where you go is kind of weird, when you've seen them all your life. 

 Thanks to Barbara for this trip down memory lane. She is always inspiring me to take new pictures and re-live some of the past ones.



Thanks for stopping in! ~Amy

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Interesting. That reminds me of when we went to Arches National Park. We laid down on the ground and looked up at one of the larger arches. It had a big crack running most of its length, and there were smaller boulders stuck in the crack. There were quite a few people doing the same thing. Someone joked about the rocks falling down and killing someone, and we all agreed that the parks service probably checked for loose ones and knocked them down. (We all felt better after we agreed on that.) Then we learned later that same day that the rocks often do fall and people are sometimes killed or injured by them. No one checks...and really, if you think about it how could they? Duh. We thought twice about standing under them after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shot! The second shot looks like there are faeries flying in the forest. :D
    I understand what you mean about the graffiti - but I think it started with the first guy with a stick. We've been marking our territory forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rock is very cool, I kind of thought that the same people who mark it have probably tried to push it over too, sad. I know what you mean about the lizards, I love when people are here and they suddenly focus in on the lizards and freak out just a bit, we're so used to them I barely notice.

    ReplyDelete